Emergency Go Bag
With the inclement weather across the US, it is time to make sure you have a Go Bag in your vehicles. Just look at the people trapped on US-95 in Virginia without blankets, water, and more.
Here is a list of items you should put in your vehicle in case of an emergency:
- Water (one gallon per person per day for several days, for drinking and sanitation)
- Food (at least a three-day supply of non-perishable food)
- Battery-powered or hand crank radio and a NOAA Weather Radio with tone alert
- First aid kit
- Extra batteries
- Whistle (to signal for help)
- Dust mask (to help filter contaminated air)
- Plastic sheeting and duct tape (to shelter in place)
- Moist towelettes, garbage bags and plastic ties (for personal sanitation)
- Wrench or pliers (to turn off utilities)
- Manual can opener (for food)
- Local maps
- Cell phone with chargers and a backup battery
If you want to go online and purchase a Go-Bag, UnchartedSupply.com and skipbedell.com are great resources.
Take this weekend to create your kit and put one in each of your vehicles. If you prefer, just assemble one kit and make sure it is in the vehicle your currently intend to use.